Let's talk about control. At the moment there are SO many things that are out of control and absolutely out of OUR control. There is little certainty with anything either so no wonder anxiety levels have sky rocketed recently for many of us. It seems as though the world has just lost it's marbles right?
However, there are things we CAN have control over and by taking the lead in these areas of our lives will allow everything else to feel slightly less overwhelming.
"Being in control of your life and having realistic expectations about your day-to-day challenges are the keys to stress management, which is perhaps the most important ingredient to living a happy, healthy and rewarding life." - Marilu Henner
Have you found yourself exercising less?
Have your eating habits gone AWOL?
Are you struggling to find the motivation to do anything?
You are not alone!
BUT the good news is, these are all things you CAN control.
You are the only person who can control these things - what an amazingly fortunate position to be in!
In this crazy world, there are things that you absolutely can take control of.
Oh and by doing so WILL make you feel so much better.
"I don't get upset over things I can control, because if I can control them there's no sense in getting upset. And I don't get upset over things I can't control, because if I can't control them there's no sense in getting upset." - Mickey Rivers
What can you control?
"Do not let circumstances control you. You change your circumstances." - Jackie Chan
So where to begin?
- Start small, set realistic goals for yourself and be consistent.
- Make meal plans and stick to them, include family members in the creation of this too so you all get to input and that'll make it more likely that you will stick to it.
- Stop buying the unhealthy snacks, if they aren't readily available, then you just cant have them.
- Be creative with your exercise, you don't have to run for hours or do HIIT sessions every day, why not dance for 5-10 minutes to your favourite songs? Go for a walk whilst listening to a podcast? Do 5 squats every time you boil the kettle?
- Be compassionate with yourself and others. Don't beat yourself up if you give in to temptations once in a while, just be sure that it doesn't become the norm.
- As soon as you begin to gain control over a your eating and exercise habits, your motivation will return and you may find that you're suddenly inspired to tackle those other things that have been niggling you for some time.
- At the end of each day, either shared around the dinner table or quietly to yourself as you lie in bed, list your three favourite things from the day. You will begin to find that it is hard to keep it to just three.
- Breathing exercises are such a phenomenal way of calming yourself and refocussing your mind. There are loads but one of my favourites is: breathe in through your nose for a count of 5, hold for 5 and breathe out your nose for a count of 5. Repeat.
Making small changes will help you through these bizarre times.
Feeling like you are in control over these fundamental lifestyle choices will help you face the uncertainty and uncontrollable world events.
Remember, you are not alone, we are all in this together and we will get through it.